Saturday, January 26, 2008

LaCie Hard Disk by Neil Poulton

Photobucket

Pretty awesome design. $400 for a 1TB, which is maybe a little high, IMO. This one has a fanless cooling systen, which I don't know if it will be problematic down the road. Another downside is that it's only USB 2.0, which is not right for my needs. I already own a 250GB LaCie triple-interface (USB 2.0, FireWire 400/800) designed by F.A. Porsche, which has a similar look. More info on the Poulton drive can be found here.

I'm in the market for a new 1TB drive and am leaning towards the Iomega ultramax, which features a RAID 0 (or RAID 1) array consisting of 2 replaceable 500 GB drives... the fan can be a little noisy, but I like idea of being able to replace the drives should one fail. here is a pic:

Photobucket

Still undecided on which way to go. I need the space now, but will likely be upgrading my 1.5GHz PowerBook to a intel-based MacBook Pro (once they get they're anticipated speed bump). The dilemma on the external drives is whether or not FireWire 800 will still be supported, or if Apple will switch to eSATA or USB 3.0.

No comments: